Genetic Counseling Services is a provider of internet and office health care services. We are sensitive to the privacy of your health information. We are committed to safeguarding the personal and family health information that we may receive from you via telephone, email, fax submission or internet discussion. Our online, telephone and office practices are designed to ensure your privacy.
Inaccuracies in any of the information you provide may directly affect your risk assessment, genetic testing options and other information that you receive through Genetic Counseling Services telephone consultation and office services.The information that you provide to us is the basis for analysis and risk evaluation, which is done in collaboration with your physician. Clients are recommended to keep in touch with a genetics expert, at least annually, or as new personal and family health information becomes available. An annual review will allow you to learn of updates in genetic information that may be important to your genetic risk assessment and assist your physician with personalized health care recommendations.
It is important that your preferred email and telephone contact information be kept current with us, as this is the primary means by which Genetic Counseling Services will communicate with you.
This policy is the sole authorized statement of the practices of Genetic Counseling Services concerning the collection, use and protection of the information that you provide to us. Genetic Counseling Services reviews its privacy practices occasionally, therefore this policy is subject to change.
Health Related Information
The information on this website and provided by genetic counselors, is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, which can only be given by those licensed to practice medicine. New York Education Law 6521 defines the practice of the profession of medicine to include diagnosing, treating, operating and/or prescribing for any human disease, pain, injury, deformity or physical condition. Visitors to this site should seek the advice of physicians or other qualified health providers regarding medical conditions, medical diagnosis or treatment. The services offered by or through this website are not intended to replace or disregard medical diagnosis or recommended treatment by physicians.
Information Collected by Genetic Counseling Services
We collect information and create a record in order to provide you the service you request, to ensure service quality, for general operations, for billing purposes and to respond to your questions by telephone, email, and fax or mail service. Genetic Counseling Services will maintain the privacy of your information and may contact you to request your opinion as to your satisfaction with our services or to share information updates about our services.
Personally Identifiable Information
Personally Identifiable Health Information is any information that we receive (by telephone discussion, fax, voice mail, e-mail or regular mail) or create that pertains to your past, present or future heath care or health status and that can be used to identify you. Such information can be in the form of a written medical record, computer stored information, verbally disclosed information, as well as information collected by us through any of our Forms or paperwork associated with testing, which we coordinate for you.
If you decide to schedule a consultation with Genetic Counseling Services, you will be required to submit Personally Identifiable Information, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, fax number, as well as personal and family health information. Personal and Health information is collected and submitted online (or occasionally by fax or regular mail service) by way of our Client Intake Form, Family History Questionnaire, Cancer Risk Assessment Form, Insurance Authorization Request Form, Medical Record Request Form, Research Request Forms, genetic test request forms, informed consent forms and billing forms.
If we coordinate genetic testing, we will assist with all necessary paperwork and work with your physician and medical personnel to obtain and assist you with specimens for testing. Genetic Counseling Services is not responsible for third party handling of your medical records, data and specimens.
Although our security measures are extensive, (see sections Genetic Counseling Services Security, Storage and Protection of Data), we cannot guarantee that we can protect you when you send by e-mail, (email@example.com) personally identifiable information, family health/genetic information, feedback or other information to Genetic Counseling Services. Nor do we guarantee that you will receive insurance coverage for the cost associated with genetic counseling services or genetic testing. You may also provide information to us by telephone (888-260-6543), voice message, fax (888-204-5975), or you can mail any sensitive information to us at Genetic Counseling Services, P. O. Box 9205, Niskayuna, New York 12309.
Use and Disclosure of the Information We Collect
Except as set forth in this policy statement Genetic Counseling Services will not disclose personal identifiable information or personal/family health information, but may release limited information under the following circumstances:
- We provide a consultation summary which is forwarded to both client and referring physician(s), with client permission or as per insurance requirements. Clients should discuss details about the handling of their genetic consultation notes or genetic test reports with their physicians. The information that you provide to Genetic Counseling Services, however, is not directly incorporated into any medical record system, electronic or otherwise, from our end.
- Your protected medical information may be used or disclosed to clinicians involved in your treatment, to the extent that you have provided permission and/or appropriate contact information to us, or to the extent that such is required by your medical insurance company, subject to the insurer requirement for payment or as required by a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order.
- To the extent that we have your permission and to the extent that it is reasonable, we may provide your information to external sources in order to provide you the services that you request.
- Personal identifiable information including personal and family health information that we collect from you may be used to assist in coordinating genetic testing.
- To the extent that it is required, certain information will be furnished to your insurer to facilitate billing your insurer for our services.
- When possible we provide anonymous and non-identifying information about you to external sources in order to provide you with the services that you request.
- If you, or someone authorized by you gives us a written or signed authorization for release of information, your health information can be released. We will always verify requests with you prior to release.
- You may request that certain parties be restricted from obtaining all or part of your health or medical information.
- Limited Information may be shared for the purpose of billing, payment and shipment with our e-commerce vendors, banking and accounting affiliates. These contractors may have access to your email address so that they may send confirmatory communications to you on our behalf, although these parties are not allowed to use your personal information for any other purpose.
- We use other parties such as genetic testing companies who will need your address information for the purpose of sending genetic testing kits to you, upon your approval.
- We collect information on which pages clients access and other search information in individual and aggregate form about visitors to our service for research or statistical purposes (demographics etc.), to customize and improve the content and layout of our Web pages and for internal review.
- Our Web server automatically does not recognize information regarding the domain or e-mail addresses of visitors to our Web pages.
Saving Family and Personal Health Information
Our interactive website does not allow for saving information on incomplete forms. Visitors to our site are encouraged to complete and submit forms to the best of their ability.
Updating Personal Health Information
We encourage clients to contact us at any time to change or update any information that you have already provided to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Genetic Counseling Services Security
Our site employs advanced technology to secure your interactions with us and we have taken precautionary measures to secure the information that we receive from you. We maintain security over your personal information through a combination of physical, electronic and procedural means as well as contractual arrangements. All agents of Genetic Counseling Services must comply with our strict privacy measures.
Storage and Protection of Data
Genetic Counseling Services employs encryption technology through an SSL certificate to secure interactions against unauthorized access and use. We use firewalls to protect information held in our servers. Your personal information is not shared or sold. Our systems are regularly backed up to protect the Personal Health information and personal information that you provide to us.
We have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss or misuse of information that we collect from you or that you have provided to us. 128-bit encryption technology is required to take advantage of some of our security measures. Appropriate security measures and procedures are in place to protect against loss or tampering of the information that you have provided to us through this website.
Genetic Counseling Services closely monitors and limits the employees who may have access to your information. Despite our secure practices and best efforts, there is always risk that an unauthorized third party may breach our security system or intercept telephone or internet transmissions. We are not responsible for the unauthorized acts of others and we assume no liability for any disclosure of information due to errors in transmission, unauthorized third party access (such as through hacking), or other acts of third parties or acts or omissions beyond our original control.
Online Communication Practices and E-mail Correspondence
We may send the following to you by e-mail:
- Information to assist you with collecting medical information
- Responses to questions about our services
- Acknowledgement of service that you request
- informational updates
- Instructions for completing forms
- Acknowledgement of records and information received
- Appointment notifications/confirmations
- Billing Information
- Responses to your questions
You have the right to a copy of your record with us and you may request addendums to such record if necessary. Up to 10 pages of records in our possession will be available to you at no cost. Any costs incurred in retrieving medical records (should you request our assistance) may be billed to you, after discussion with you and with your permission.
You also have the right to an accounting of your health information and right to request restrictions on the release of your health information. We ask that you submit your request for a specific restriction in writing and indicate to whom you would like the restriction to apply.
We reserve the right to transfer or sell portions of our business in developing the business of Genetic Counseling Services; in doing so, user/client information may be securely transferred.
Usage of Web Content
The information contained on this website (including text, graphics, logos, icons and images) and the format of this website are proprietary to and copyrighted by Genetic Counseling Services and may not be copied, reproduced, altered, distributed, stored, sublicensed, sold, displayed or otherwise used, in whole or in part, without written permission from Genetic Counseling Services. Users may make temporary single copies of forms and website pages (on a single computer)as are necessary to browse the website, for personal use and to collect and provide personal information for the purpose of conferring with Genetic Counseling Services, as long as all copyright or proprietary information remains intact. Requests for permission to use copyrighted materials should be made through the 'Contact Us' page of our website or in writing.
For your information and convenience our website provides links to websites operated by organizations other than Genetic Counseling Services. We do not provide personally identifiable information to these sites. Genetic Counseling Services does not endorse these sites nor are we responsible for the privacy practices of these sites. The Privacy Practices of linked sites are outlined on each individual website.
You the user of this website, agree to hold harmless, Genetic Counseling Services, its directors, employees and other agents from any claim arising from the use of this website.
Conditions of Use
You understand and agree that the owners of this site shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, data or other intangible losses (even if the owners of this site have been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from the use or the inability to use the product(s) and or service(s) or any misuse of the product(s) and or service(s) in a manner not in accordance with their intended use.
You may contact us directly by e-mail at email@example.com should you have any questions regarding our policies.
Information Content Disclaimer
THE CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED FOR GENERAL INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND IS NOT INTENDED AS, NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSIDERED A SUBSTITUTE FOR, PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THIS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED ''AS IS'' AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY OF INFORMATIONAL CONTENT, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. GCS, INC. IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF PROFITS OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. WE ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR INTERRUPTIONS, ERRORS, COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HAZARDS RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THIS SITE. YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK, AND YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR USE OF THE SITE. ALTHOUGH EVERY EFFORT IS MADE TO ENSURE THAT THE MATERIAL WITHIN THIS WEB SITE IS ACCURATE AND TIMELY, WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS AS TO THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE CONTENTS, WHETHER THE CONTENTS ARE CURRENT, OR FREE FROM CHANGES CAUSED BY THIRD PARTIES. THE INFORMATION MAY NOT BE RELEVANT FOR YOUR INDIVIDUAL SITUATION AND MAY BE MISINTERPRETED. GCS, INC. ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR HOW YOU USE THE INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM THIS SITE. DO NOT USE THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE FOR DIAGNOSING OR TREATING ANY MEDICAL OR HEALTH CONDITION. IF YOU HAVE OR SUSPECT YOU HAVE A MEDICAL PROBLEM, PROMPTLY CONTACT YOUR PROFESSIONAL HEALTHCARE PROVIDER.